My Guide Website?
From Malta: Gozo Day Trip Including Ggantija Temples509 Reviews
Discover Gozo's splendid highlights, such as Dwejra, the Citadel of Rabat, the ancient Ggantija Temples, and even a bit of legend: Odysseus is said to have been stranded there for 7 years.
- Discover the beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Ggantija Temples
- Experience the Citadel of Rabat, the ancient capital of the Island
- Walk the grounds of the picturesque Bay of Xlendi
- Appreciate the fascinating natural beauty of the Inland Sea at Dwejra
DescriptionDuring this full-day tour, experience Gozo's magnificent heritage, visit key landmarks, and discover hidden gems, all while relishing the impressive beauty and distinctive charm this tiny island has to offer. This tour starts with a short 20-minute ferry crossing to Gozo, which immediately sets the pace to Gozo’s unique atmosphere. The first stop is the megalithic temples of Ggantija, included on the UNESCO World Heritage List. This impressive archaeological site dates to c. 3600-3200 BC and is believed to be the oldest freestanding monument in the world, predating Stonehenge in England, and the Pyramids of Egypt. The etymology of “Ggantija” is derived from the Maltese word for giant (“ggant”) because it was believed the site was built by a race of giants. This mythological idea makes sense considering that the temples are constructed from megaliths (massive limestone blocks) measuring more than 5 meters in length and weighing over 50 tons. Afterward, head towards the medieval fortified city known locally as “Cittadella” (The Citadel). Located within the capital city of Gozo (Victoria), with its distinctive skyline and imposing military architecture, this ancient, fortified city stands out as Gozo’s major landmark, a beacon visible from all over the Island. Next visit is the delightful sea inlet known as Xlendi Bay, located at the end of a deep, lush ravine, which was once a riverbed and surrounded by picturesque steep cliffs. The bay is now on the must-visit list of most day-trippers to the Island. Xlendi’s small but lively promenade is busy at all times of the day, with a variety of cafes, restaurants, and a handful of souvenir shops. Though seemingly bursting with activity during summer, Xlendi bay remains a refreshingly quiet place even at the height of the season. Your final stop is Dwejra. Situated on the western shore of the island of Gozo this area is a geological and ecological haven. Its surroundings offer a blend of geology, landscape, fauna, habitats, shoreline, seascapes, archaeology, flora, and history, making this an experience to remember. Dwejra is also known for its Inland Sea, a small bay surrounded by high cliffs and connected by an impressive 65-meter-long natural tunnel that opens out into the open sea, a truly fascinating natural formation that evokes awe and leaves a striking impression. After a day full of experiences and unique memories, take a short ferry crossing back to Malta and return to your hotel.
IncludesPick-up and drop-off Transportation in an airconditioned bus or coach Roundtrip Gozo ferry tickets. Licensed guide All entry tickets to the sites Lunch A glass of wine
- The boat trip at Dwejra Bay is optional (to be paid for on location), and it is always subject to weather conditions
- The time shown on the website/your ticket/your voucher is the approximate start time of the activity and not the time when you will be picked up from your location. The activity provider will be sending you an e-mail confirming your pick-up time and location • The tour will be guided in the language you have booked; however, please note that depending on operational circumstances, the commentary might be provided by a multilingual guide