My Guide Website?
On the Footsteps of the Knights - Valletta and Vittoriosa
Experience the two main cities linked to the heritage of the Knights of Malta with an experienced licensed tour guide who will unfold the rich history of these two maritime towns.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Malta:If youʻre booking your trip to Malta last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Malta: Scuba Diving Lesson & Guided Excursion
- Malta Discount Card up to 50% OFF all over Malta & Gozo
- Malta: Mdina, Dingli Cliffs and San Anton Botanical Gardens
- Comino: Blue Lagoon, Crystal Lagoon, and Seacaves Tour
- From Malta: Gozo Day Trip Including Ggantija Temples
- Admire Valletta's fortificatication lines, a heritage in stone!
- Cross over Malta's Grand Harbour to reach the town of Vittoriosa!
- Get an insiders view of the history behind these maritime towns!
DescriptionWhen the knights of the Order of St. John came to Malta in 1530, they settled down in the harbour hamlet called Il- Birgu. Here they built their first hospital, Auberges and also fortifications as they expected the Ottomans to attack. The Ottomans attacked in 1565, the knights won the siege which remained known in history as The Great Siege. After the victory, the town was renamed Vittoriosa, the Victorious City. In 1571 the Knights moved to Valletta, the new city which they themselves had built. Meet your guide at the City Gate of Valletta in front of the New Parliament Building or at your hotel lobby in Valletta. Your private tour guide will start with a brief introduction to the history of the Knights and then proceed on tour to discover this Unesco Heritage site, Valletta. This walk will take you past the city’s main landmarks as well as off the beaten track. You will then proceed towards the Grand Harbour where you will cross over with a traditional gondola (weather permitting or ferry) to reach the maritime town of Vittoriosa, where a guided tour will follow. The historic centre of Vittoriosa is characterised by winding streets, replete with buildings erected by the knights shortly after their arrival and fabulous views of the Grand Harbour.
IncludesServices of a fully licensed tour guide Ferry crossing to Vittoriosa
- The meeting point and start time will be set as per upon confirmation of booking according to the availability of the tour guide